The time has come again where job applications for next year are starting to open up. It’s such a pain, especially since I’ve barely completed 12 weeks of my PGY2 year, but that’s just the way the system works.
To be honest, I don’t know what to do.
Maybe I’m feeling this way because I haven’t done any ‘real’ rotations this year, and any enjoyment I got was short-lived since I moved along to the next job in no time. Yes I’ve said I wanted to look on the positive side of my relief rotation, but I can’t deny the fact that I’ve come away feeling unappreciated most of the time. I was just floating around, helping whoever needed help, and then never seen again.
The most obvious first option would be to try for paeds again, but I reckon my chances are slim given that nothing has really changed since my last application. I tried asking for feedback on my application last year after I didn’t get selected, but they never got back to me. There’s nothing extra on my CV except that I’ve completed internship and that I’ve got a paeds rotation coming up at the end of the year. I don’t know how much I can edit my previous cover letter, as my reasons for wanting to do paeds and the qualities that I have still remain the same. But of course, there is no harm trying.
The second option, which I have more inclination towards, is to apply for ED training. It’s something that I’ve really enjoyed so far, and I’m pretty certain now that I’ve worked in 3 different EDs that it’s the nature of the job that I like. Even when I thought about doing paeds, ED was one of the subspecialties that I was interested in. The more I think about it, the more it seems like a better idea to pursue it via the ED route rather than the physician route (ward rounds are something that I would avoid if I could).
If the closing dates of the applications remain the same as last year, the results from the paeds interview will be out even before the ED application closes. This means I could go for option one and then have option two as a backup. Although I don’t know whether I would take it if (that’s a massive IF) I get offered the paeds position. I suppose I would. And if I didn’t like it I could apply for ED the following year. I’m not in a rush.
That brings me to the last option, which is to apply for another general year to do more paeds and ED before I decide. However, there is a possibility of a similar relief rotation again, and I might be feeling the same way again this time next year.
I guess I should find some senior people to have a chat with.